Despite their prevalence within the game’s very name, mine carts and rails seem to have gotten the short end of the stick in terms of depth and variety. This particular mod, nicknamed Railcraft, aims to fix that issue.
Redefine Your Rails
The railcraft mod for minecraft gives you a greatly expanded range of toys to play around with when constructing railways.
- Crowbar This tool, not a weapon, can quickly tweak individual stretches of track by right-clicking on them. Useful for when you’d rather not go through the hassle of removing the track and placing the proper piece over the empty space.
- Linking Systems Now you can create entire trains of mine carts. You can connect as many carts as you have track. This can be done by shift-right-clicking on a given cart with the Crowbar equipped.
- Tunnel Bore A much-needed device for placing railways through mountains, the Tunnel Bore is a massive drill on tracks which carves 3×3 holes as it passes along the track. Note that the drill bits can wear out with time, but these can easily be repaired.
- One-Way Tracks These will prevent carts from heading in the wrong direction.
- High-Speed Tracks These tracks are for those seeking to build a roller coaster experience. While High-Speed Tracks can propel the rider much faster than regular carts, they can also injure or even kill the rider if the track is improperly constructed (i.e. if the cart leaves High-Speed Tracks without slowing down first).
- Cart Dispenser Serve as nothing more than a chest for the various models of mine cart offered by this particular mod.
- Wooden Tracks You can now make rail tracks out of wood instead of iron. And thus gaining access to building your own railways much earlier in the game.
- TNT Cart These wonderful toys combine the high speed of an unobstructed railway vehicle with the high explosives of trinitrotoluene. TNT Carts explode if they collide or catch on fire. You can also ignite one by having it pass across Priming Tracks. You can delay the fuse with string; every piece of string applied delays the explosion by 1/20th of a second.
- Priming Tracks These exist solely to assist TNT Carts in achieving their purpose of blowing things up with a level of force equivalent to cannonballs or fireworks.
So there you have it; a mod for any player who’s ever wanted to combine the merits of Minecraft with the construction elements of something like Rollercoaster Tycoon.
How to download & install:
- Go to the RailCraft Mod download page
- Download the file
- Follow RailCraft Mod installation instructions
- Happy Crafting!